Changing The Face Of Aviation In Africa ~ Meet Our African Trailblazers
This is an interactive map. Hover your cursor over the countries and see where our African 99s trailblazers members are from.
Ivana Alvares-Marshall from Malawi
- EASA ATPL / FAA Commercial Licence / FAA Flight Instructor / Malawi Commercial Licence
- Founder and First African Governor of the African Section 99s
- Global Goodwill Ambassador
- Founder of Girls Wings For Africa /STEM initiative.
Dina Dawod from Egypt
- A320 First Officer for a private airline in Egypt
- First Vice Governor of the African Section 99s
- First Arab and African female pilot who received a scholarship from 99s organisation https://www.mobtada.com/details/828541?fbclid=IwAR2AVfNKWzPmph748xsyNyotikGg4CTjilGYHgn-De-dOl91uMQ7F-MU_g8
Ashaba Faridah from Uganda
Commercial pilot https://ashabafaridah.com/me/
Founder and CEO Bambino life foundation (an organisation that promotes girl child education and empowerment among other things) http://bambinolife.org/
- Women to watch interview https://women2watch.net/ashaba-faridah-bambino-life-foundation-2/
Brand ambassador sky plus Young aviators club (an organization that encourages children to join the aviation industry)
Director STEM Queens Uganda (an initiative that encourages young girls to join and participate in science, technology, engineering and mathematics industry)
Chair Global Goodwill Ambassadors Uganda Chapter
- TEDx Talk By Ashaba Faridah https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T40lTRSageE
- She Innovates – United Nations Women – She Innovates Global Programme is to support women in innovation by providing access to development tools, programmes, and resources. The aim is to connect women innovators worldwide and provide support for the development of innovations that meet the needs of women and girls. https://www.sheinnovatesstories.com/ashaba-faridah-pilot-ceo-bambino-life-foundation
Laura Ilunga from South Africa
- Laura received her South African Air Force (SAAF) military pilot wings in July 2007 on the PC7 MkII Astra, then trained towards a rotor wing licence. A few months later she attained her Helicopter Private Pilot Licence at Starlite Aviation, then further completed her SAAF military helicopter conversion course. She flew many national and international military missions on the medium transport Atlas Oryx helicopter as a member of 15 Squadron, home based at Air Force Base Durban from 2008 until early 2013.
- Throughout her career she has achieved a few awards. In 2012 she was awarded her first military medal, the SANDF Tumelo Ke Katghleho (General Service Medal) for distinguished military service directly or in support of a military operation.
- Laura was a 2013 finalist and the runner up in the General Sector category for the South Africa’s Most Influential Women in Business and Government Awards.
- The following year she awarded the Flight Safety International Bell 206 type rating scholarship through the Whirly-Girls (International Women Helicopter Pilots).
- Last year she was recognised by the Kingdom of the Netherlands as one of South Africa’s 50 most inspiring women in the STEM sector, through the Dutch embassy’s Inspiring Fifty non-profit organisation.
- She ended the year with a feature in DESTINY magazine’s Power of 40 issue, which profiles powerful young achievers under the age of 40
Abimobla Jayeola from Nigeria
- Commercial Pilot Licence on Helicopters
- First Female Nigerian Pilot who graduated from Bristow Academy Florida USA.
- First Female Helicopter Captain in Nigeria
- Holds a Bachelors degree in Environmental Management and Toxicology from the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta
- Masters Degree in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) from the University of Ibadan, Nigeria.
Kaone Kamanakao from Botswana
- She was awarded with The South African Designated Pilot Examiner’s Excellence award. Amongst a pool of more than 100 pilots, she was selected as the candidate that demonstrated the best aircraft handling and professionalism
- She is the founding President of Women in Aviation Botswana Chapter. Parallel to WAIB, she also runs Girls Fly Program in Africa Botswana (GFPA Botswana) under the GFPA Foundation umbrella set up by Refilwe Ledwaba. GFPA Foundation is currently running in South Africa, Botswana, Cameroon and Kenya.
Yolanda Kaunda from Malawi
- The first female Captain flying for Malwian Airlines.
- Made history in Malawi on 16th March 2017 operating an all female operated and supported flight from Malawi to Tanzania.
- Mentor to many youth in Malawi.
Refilwe Ledabwa from South Africa
Founder of Girls Fly Programme In Africa Foundation (GFPA) https://www.gfpafoundation.org/
Refilwe has been a member of the Ninety Nines for more than 10 years. She is a recipient of The Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarship (AEMSF) for flight training.
Refilwe was the only black female helicopter pilot in the South African Police Service (SAPS) in 2004
For her work in women’s development, she received two awards – for the Aviation, Aerospace and Defence category of the South Africa’s Most Influential Women in Business and Government Awards as well as a South African Youth Award in the Social Entrepreneurship category.
Refilwe has been awarded the Aviation Excellence Award for her contribution to the aviation industry. The honour was presented by the commercial Aviation Association of Southern Africa (CAASA).
She recently was awarded the Sapphire Pegasus Business Aviation Award for 2019.
Kgomotso Phatsima from Botswana
- First female military pilot in Botswana Defence Force.
- Commercial Pilot Licence from Civil Aviation Authority of Botswana
- Winner of the 2017 Botswana Youth Awards Best Female of the Year Award https://thevoicebw.com/soaring-for-the-skies-2/
- Recipient of The 80th British High Commission Commonwealth Point of Light Award. https://www.pointsoflight.gov.uk/dare-to-dream-botswana/
- Captain Phatsima is the 2018 Fellow of the Obama Foundation Africa Leadership Program as well as the International Visitor Leadership Program (IVLP) USA Leadership Tour of the States 2018 Alumina.
- President of “Dare to Dream”, a social enterprise dedicated to the advancement of youth, women, and girls in STEM with a focus on aviation, aerospace, and Enterpreanuaship. https://www.facebook.com/daretodreamhub/
- She is a Co-Founder of Women in Aviation Botswana Chapter.
- Master of Science in Strategic Management (University of Derby)
- Bachelor of Education Science (University of Botswana).
- African Union STEM Ambassador for Botswana.
- Airbus Foundation Little Engineer has launched in Botswana https://aviationbusinessjournal.aero/2019/02/25/airbus-foundation-launches-youth-development-programme-in-botswana/
Samantha Schnetler from South Africa
- South African Airline Transport Pilot Licence Helicopters / Helicopter instructor.
- Helicopter Emergency Medical Service (HEMS) trained Pilot in South Africa.
- One of the youngest female helicopter Captains at age 20 for the South African Police Service.
- Bachelors of Commerce Degree
- Post graduate qualification in Financial planning
- Command on a first all female crew flight in the Mpumalanga province saving the life of a one month old baby girl ~ read more about it https://lowvelder.co.za/293085/video-all-women-flight-crew-makes-history-in-the-province/
- Samantha is a senior financial planner, she assists pilots take control of their finances in the same way they control their aircraft and guide them in spreading their wings of wealth. https://samanthaschnetler.co.za/
- You can also read more about financial services on risk and investment planning solutions for corporates and individuals in the aviation industry at https://skyfinsa.co.za/our-team
Veronica Zunic from Malawi
- Airline Transport Pilot Licence
- First female pilot of Malawi in 1992. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_aviation
- First female pilot who flew for Air Malawi, founded in March 1964 went into liquidation in 2012.
- First female presidential pilot of Malawi.
- Flew in Zimbabwe and South Africa from 1986-1989
Air Malawi from 1989-1998 ( HS 748, ATR 42, B737, DO228)
TransAsia Airways 1998-2001 (ATR72)
Vietnam Airlines 2001-2018 (ATR 72, A320/1, A330)
- Currently a sim Instructor / Examiner
- TRE of the A320, A330 & A350
- Veronica has an aviation training company called GreenDot Aviation owned by herself, her husband (Mladen Zunic) and Luke Fleming.The company provides high quality training to airbus pilots. It is an EASA ATO (European Aviation Safety Agency Approved Training Organization).GreenDot Aviation have trained a large number of airlines in Asia. Some of them are: Bangkok Airway, Thai Smile, Thai Lion Air, Hong Kong Airlines, Hong Kong Cargo, Bamboo Airlines to name a few. http://www.greendot-aviation.com